Olongapo Subic Volunteers

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The champion as warrior

MANAGING FOR SOCIETY By RENE CONCEPCION

Merriam-Webster defines a champion not in the way most people think. Yes, champion stands for “winner of first prize,” or “first place in competition.” But its primary definition is that of warrior, fighter. And related to this meaning is the one I like the most—a champion is someone who does battle for another’s rights or honor.

Merriam-Webster defines a champion not in the way most people think. Yes, champion stands for "winner of first prize," or "first place in competition." But its primary definition is that of warrior, fighter. And related to this meaning is the one I like the most—a champion is someone who does battle for another’s rights or honor.

Recently, the team I coach ended the UAAP swimming season near the bottom. Another school won first prize. At the risk of sounding biased, I believe my swimmers were champions too, perhaps even more so. It was a tough season, with several circumstances outside the pool that hurt our chances. Still, hats off to the victors who were truly superior swimmers this year. What they couldn’t beat, and was never lost despite facing loss, was my swimmers’ warrior spirit and how they fought for the whole team’s honor.

I would have liked to have gone to West Point. The military academy’s timeless motto of "Duty, Honor, Country" inspires awe. I visited the academy grounds many times. Standing before the statues of Generals MacArthur, Eisenhower and Patton made me feel that these men carried world history on their shoulders. I have met many West Point graduates and one became a good friend in graduate school. These guys didn’t want war, nor did they have the swagger you’d think a person who survived hardcore combat training would have. But I bet that if they were called to duty, to defend what is right and true, they would fight to the death for their country without hesitation. These men wouldn’t need statues. Their integrity is immortalized through traditions of gallantry, accountability and humility.

Teamwork and hard work can be the foundation of a company’s culture or be mere catch phrases in memos. Former Chrysler CEO Lee Iacocca made the value of hard work real at the car company when he said, "Boys, there ain’t no free lunches . . . don’t go spending your whole life commiserating that you got the raw deals. You’ve got to say, ‘I think that if I keep working at this and want it bad enough I can have it.’ It’s called perseverance."

Teams turn to leaders when in need of motivation, guidance and support. Leaders must also get the same backing from the crew, and the entire crew from each member. How many of us would want the privilege to serve and endure for others without even desiring a "thank you?"

Presently, our country needs more folks with self-sacrifice and perseverance. In America sports stars earn tens of thousands in the motivational speaking circuits. They retell their moments of glory, vividly convincing the crowd that they too can achieve success. But we all know that not everyone can be first. I’m not a sports star, but I am convincing you that everyone can be a true champion. Being persistent and being tenacious for others while not being self-serving can only lead to excellence. There is no failure in community. There is success in giving your best. There is always victory in dignity. How do I know? Like others who have bounced back from heartache, I realize the need for cooperation and developing grander goals. Those who merely complain only think about themselves and do not know how to dream.

There is a mission statement that has become a part of me since my first moments as a college freshman, and being initiated to the hallowed traditions of the University of California, Berkeley, varsity swim team. Our legendary coach, Nort Thornton, kept a sign on the board that declared this mission, "We want to create an environment where champions are inevitable." We never won the NCAA crown, despite having the world’s fastest swimmer on the team. But we all learned from an environment that, like West Point, also taught duty, honor and teamwork. I will never ever let this mission down. Today, I am championing the team I coach, the students I teach, the friends I cherish, the school I represent, and above all, my family and the country I love. I am your warrior forever.

Rene F. Concepcion is an assistant professor and the international desk coordinator of De La Salle Professional Schools Inc. Graduate School of Business. He also coordinates the MBA Major in Culture and Arts Management and the MBA Major in Sports and Recreation Management while coaching the DLSU varsity swim team.

E-mail him at concepcionr@dlsu.edu.ph.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home